Renting a car is an expensive business. When you rent a car, you’re paying for a vehicle that will sit idle while you use it. The average car rental rate is about $50 per day. That’s a lot of money for something that you’ll only drive once or twice. If you want to get the most out of your car rental, you need to be smart about how you use it. Here are some tips for saving money and getting the most from your rental car.
1. Renting a car in a major city is going to cost more than renting one in a small town. You’re paying for the convenience of being able to find a place to park, but you don’t have to pay as much as you would if you were renting in a smaller town.
2. If you’re planning to do a lot of driving around town, you might want to consider renting a larger vehicle. A minivan or SUV is a good option because they’re roomy and easy to drive. They also tend to be a bit more fuel efficient than a compact cars.
3. If you’re looking to save money on gas, you should rent a car with a manual transmission. Automatic transmissions use more gas than manual transmissions.
4. Don’t go to the airport without checking the price of parking at the airport first. Many people assume that there’s no cost associated with parking at the airport, but that isn’t true. If you’re renting a car for a week, parking at the airport could easily add up to hundreds of dollars.
5. Try to avoid using the car rental company’s shuttle service. The shuttle service is convenient, but it costs extra money. Instead, take public transportation to the airport. There are buses that run between the airport and downtown areas.
6. Most car rental companies offer a mileage allowance. If you’re renting a vehicle for a week, you’ll probably want to check your mileage allowance before you start driving. If you’re traveling outside of the country, make sure that you know what kind of miles you can expect to travel before you book your car rental.
7. You can save money by buying your own insurance through a car rental company. This way, you won’t have to worry about adding this expense to your rental bill.
8. You should also ask the car rental company about any additional fees that you might be charged. These fees can include things like airport surcharges, tolls, and even taxes.
9. You can also save money by using a credit card instead of cash. Most car rental companies will charge a fee for using a debit card. However, if you have a credit card with a rewards program, you may be able to get a discount on your rental.
10. Finally, you should try to make sure that you get a car that you really want. If you’re going to spend a lot of time in your car, you want to make sure that it’s comfortable and reliable.